According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts should be cleaned about three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the lifetime of your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence how long your ducts can go without cleaning. How can you see if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some indications that you should keep an eye on.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are fully opened, do any have weaker airflow than others?
2. Can you hear a sound other than your blower motor when you focus on the airflow?
3. Is there blockage inside your cold air return vent?
4. When you glimpse inside with a flashlight, can you see a buildup of debris or pet fur?
5. Have pests or rodents created a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns covered with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers pushing out dust?
If you replied “yes” to any of these questions, it’s probably time to ask ACE Solutions in Hasbrouck Heights about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are steps you can take to keep your ducts cleaner and extend the time between professional visits.
Most importantly, schedule periodic HVAC maintenance with the professionals at ACE Solutions. Annual checkup of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system operating at peak performance. Examining your system on a regular basis and replacing the air filter when needed will also help keep your ducts clean.
Additional ways you can help manage your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let debris in from areas such as your attic.
• Check your air filters on a regular basis and put in new filters when needed.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your house.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in unsatisfactory or damp condition.
Keeping your ducts clean will help you make sure the air in your Hasbrouck Heights home is clean. Be sure to use these preventative measures and schedule a professional duct cleaning when needed. Call the experts at ACE Solutions at 201-579-2562 or make an appointment online.